Saturday, February 28, 1998

these are a few...

...of my favorite things.

someone enjoyed a TV show i recommended, and asked me to share a few more of my favorite books, films, etc.

though i have a hard time believing anyone actually cares about this stuff, i promised i'd answer all reasonable questions... so, here you go:

***

favorite books:

  • blindness by jose saramago (my favorite book... incredibly moving and beautifully written.) also great by saramago: all the names, the cave, the tale of the unknown island (for all you romantics out there, give this book to your loved one. guaranteed 'tang.)
  • paul auster (aka the bard of brooklyn) - the new york trilogy, the book of illusions, the music of chance, moon palace... really everything he writes is fantastic.
  • james baldwin - go tell it on the mountain
  • george orwell - 1984
  • anita diamont - the red tent
  • alex garland - the beach (yes, the movie sucks, but the book is awesome)
  • patrick suskind - perfume
  • haruki murakami - the wind up bird chronicle
  • zora neale hurston - their eyes were watching god

favorite artists:

  • george tooker, eric drooker, really anyone whose name rhymes with "ooker." i also like gregory crewdson.

favorite movies:

  • rear window (pretty much my all-time favorite)
  • the big lebowski (probably the coen brothers' magnum opus. however, let's not overlook their other great work such as barton fink and the man who wasn't there.)
  • 2001: a space odyssey
  • back to the future (i am virtually unstumpable when it comes to BTTF (part 1) trivia. UNSTUMPABLE. try me.
  • waking life (also a great soundtrack)
  • happiness
  • apocalypse now
  • the good, the bad & the ugly
  • punch-drunk love
  • donnie darko
  • the shining
  • mulholland drive
  • i also have a soft spot for silly movies like three amigos and cabin boy

favorite music:

  • radiohead, bjork, fiona apple, hendrix, wilco, the roots, dave brubeck, toots & the maytals, orchestra baobab, phish, stevie wonder, stephen malkmus, etc. (warshaw, you gave me a C- for musical knowledge when you first wrote about me. can i at least get bumped up to a B now that you know the truth?)
favorite TV shows:
  • deadwood, curb your enthusiasm, wonder showzen, family guy, branded, yankees games, bengals games, around the horn, mr. show with bob & david. i’m also not averse to a little 90210 rerun here and there.

so there you have it. if you've read all the way to the bottom of this page, you can now consider yourself to be 1% dumber than when you began.

since you're still here, if you have similar tastes in books or movies or whatever, and have a recommendation for something you think i might like, i’d be much obliged if you’d send it my way, or just post it on the board below.

3 Comments:

At 3:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First off, thanks for the long winded exit - I'm a 2L and have been following Menlovian for awhile now. I wish we had something similar. I'm actually a part-timer, so I'll be graduating along with you. I've done a lot of blogging myself, but mostly from a dry issue advocacy point of view. I've always admired the hell out of those bloggers who could share so much of themselves so easily. As for your favorites list, it's nice to see the vastly underappreciated Cabin Boy get a shoutout. It's also nice to see that Gregory Crewdson has a fan - he was my photography teacher/advisor/mentor years back and once said I'd make a great artist (which tells you how much he knew - law school - ha!). I actually tried and failed to get him as one of my three recommendation writers when applying to law school, but I guess the disappointment resulting from his failed prediction as to my greatness led to him not answering that phone call. Thanks for the Wonder Showzen heads up, my tivo is chock full of them now. Hope I can buy you a beer someday - you deserve it for the effort you put in this year.

 
At 12:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One really good book you might enjoy Menlove is called the Bible. Just kidding. Did you ever read any Hemingway? My favorite by him is Farewell to Arms.

 
At 12:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too am a huge Bjork fan, M. Did you ever see her movie "Dancer in the Dark"? I think you would like it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home