Sunday, November 21, 2004

let's relax

here are three poems for all you anguished, angry, gossipy, sleepy, stessed, kind and caring souls out there. the first is about love, the second about sex, and the third one will hopefully get you back to work.


The Rain
by Robert Creeley

All night the sound had
come back again,
and again falls
this quiet, persistent rain.

What am I to myself
that must be remembered,
insisted upon
so often? Is it

that never the ease,
even the hardness,
of rain falling
will have for me

something other than this,
something not so insistent--
am I to be locked in this
final uneasiness.

Love, if you love me,
lie next to me.
Be for me, like rain,
the getting out

of the tiredness, the fatuousness, the semi-
lust of intentional indifference.
Be wet
with a decent happiness.



i like my body when it is with your
by e. e. cummings

i like my body when it is with your
body. It is so quite new a thing.
Muscles better and nerves more.
i like your body. i like what it does,
i like its hows. i like to feel the spine
of your body and its bones, and the trembling
-firm-smooth ness and which i will
again and again and again
kiss, i like kissing this and that of you,
i like, slowly stroking the, shocking fuzz
of your electric fur, and what-is-it comes
over parting flesh....And eyes big love-crumbs,

and possibly i like the thrill

of under me you so quite new



Lying in a Hammock at Williamm Duffy's Farm in Pine Island, Minnesota
by James Wright

Over my head, I see the bronze butterfly
Asleep on the black trunk,
Blowing like a leaf in green shadow.
Down the ravine behind the empty house,
The cowbells follow one another
Into the distances of the afternoon.
To my right,
In a field of sunlight between two pines,
The droppings of last year's horses
Blaze up into golden stones.
I lean back, as the evening darkens and comes on.
A chicken hawk floats over, looking for home.
I have wasted my life.

20 Comments:

At 11:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes i have noticed those two as well. i think i smell a new poll, menlove! so far we have the curly blond and the curly black aka adam and dori and shireen and a different curly black whose name is yet to be discovered. i am afraid we would need more for an official poll! but what would the poll be? who practices the most glannon examples in bed?

 
At 11:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Menlove for the poems, they were just what I needed.

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger menlove said...

you're welcome.

don't count on me posting any polls or comments about specific people in class who may be getting their swerve on. my blog already has too much of an "US Weekly" vibe going on.

while i won't call out other people for their romantic couplings (or lack thereof), what i will tell you about is that i'm about 90% positive that i'm going to be asking out someone in our class before exams are over...

but i won't tell you about it until after this goddam memo is finished.

 
At 12:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn that EE Cummings is one sexy mofo

 
At 12:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, thanks Menlove for the poems. Nicely done. Second, really really be careful here. I'm not saying you don't have good judgment, but 40 hours a week in the library are just as good as beer goggles. But without the beer.

And I think dark curly #2 is John

 
At 12:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I'm pretty much dying to know who you are planning on asking out! Any chance of a little clue?

Any chance it's me??

-1L wallflower

 
At 1:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe Brina and the kid shes always talking to but she wears a wedding ring. Now thats risque, folks!

 
At 8:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ALWAYS wonder what was "removed by the author". Was it something dirty? nasty? CRUEL? Was it something stupid? mispelled? unreasoned? Was it just a plain mistake? Perhaps the cat pranced across the keyboard.
Anyway, I wonder.

Also, interesting love connection observations.

 
At 10:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

law school (l-aw s-k-oo-l): a place where work is never completed. A place where you can spend a shitload of time on a memo and then proofread for the upteenth time to discover that it still sucks. A place where free time is spent on outlining, or otherwise getting piss drunk or really, really stoned to drown away the guilty feelings for not doing work at that instant. A place where sleep-deprived 1Ls skip 9 AM classes to write memos, and yes, actually do so at 9 AM, probably before. A place where I spend much of my time when I should be studying bitching about my sexual frustration. Cheers!

 
At 11:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

instead of complaining about our work let's go back to gossip. at lesat that was interesting and took my mind of the memo for a few minutes

 
At 12:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or if we can rent it? I want beer and sleep NOT goats or whatever.

 
At 4:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I GUESS IM THE ONLY ONE NOT DONE WITH MY MEMO...

 
At 4:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i aint done either.

i'm goin cukoo

 
At 5:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what do you think robyn would do if like 4 grand fell out of my pseudonym envelope?

 
At 5:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

does anyone have the list of the 9 cases robyn told us to use? i left mine at school, and can't find them online. i'm sort of worried that i won't get this done on time.

 
At 5:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

youre not serious right? you didnt START?

 
At 5:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i DID start, i got all the facts, issue and conclusion DONE ALREADY. i just didn't do the discussion yet. it's cool though, i figured out a few cases to use.

 
At 5:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

baptiste v cushman
us fidelity v braspetro
us v rigas
us v gangi
prescient v fieldcrest
johnson v sealand
sec v cassano
+ 2 of your choice
you know, my very late friend, you can look at your history trails from last week on westlaw and lexis

good luck with all that
(ps i feel a lot better about not yet going over my citations)

 
At 6:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

to my kind and anonymous friend...
i was just kidding around...
i too am checking my citations. but your act of infinite kindness will surely yield you some amazing karma over the next 24 hours.

 
At 6:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well maybe that karma is comin around right now, b/c i cant figure out what the fuck is the story on the westlae citations, i mean we copy that WHOLE thing every time we cite?????????? wtf

 

Post a Comment

<< Home