Tuesday, December 14, 2004

reflections on the exam (part 2)

well, we've got two down, and two to go. i'm going to keep this entry brief, as the civ pro exam is just two days away, and i feel completely physically and intellectully removed from nan, and from everything we did in that class... it seems like we haven't had civ pro in a month!

anyhow, before my reflections on the torts exam, let me say thank you again to those of you who contributed poetry and various funny remarks to the message board after the last exam. maybe after i fail out of school, one of you can take over menlovian for me, and i'll just post random comments on the message boards about the ongoing exploits of the huxtable clan.

yes, i really do think that i will be failing out of BLS in the very near future. unfortunately, the school sent me a bill for next semester, so i guess i have to pay up front, then get a refund after i withdraw.

as i said in the past, i'm pretty sure i got a 'D' or 'F' on the crim exam, and i feel like i got a solid 'F' on torts yesterday.

i went into it all fucked up... i had not slept since noon on sunday, so i had been awake for something like 21 hours as the exam was being handed out, and for a full 24 hours by the end of the exam. what was worse was that i knew that i'd be having trouble falling asleep the night before the exam because of nerves, and i drank four cans of guinness between about 10:00 and midnight on sunday night, hoping to pacify myself enough to fall asleep. unfortunately, all that i accomplished was leaving myself with a bit of a hangover by around 5 a.m., and also creating a potentially explosive situation somewhere towards the tail end of my digestive system (see below).

i felt pretty much like i was on PCP during those three hours of the exam. i was itching like crazy all over my shoulders and arms, i kept having these fleeting hallucinations of gold and silver flashes of light around the periphery of my field of vision, and worst of all, about every ten minutes or so, my guts started clenching up on me, and i was constantly worried that i was going to unleash a monstrous torrent of diarrhea right there into my seat.

(i remember during scott kreppein's review session how he said that we should be on the lookout for large bodies of collected liquids on tony's exams... little did i know that the ultrahazardous liquid would be sloshing around in the lower regions of my bowels...)

so the point is that i was in no condition to take the exam, and i spent 3 hours in a constant state of panic. because of this, i made many, many mistakes on the exam, but there was one mistake that was purely menlovian.

while i was reading the first page, misread the point values of the questions. in my sleepless, delirious and diarrheaic state, i thought that it said that questions 1-3 were worth 10 points each, questions 4-5 were worth 30 points each, and question 6 was worth 20 points. that's right... i thought the exam was out of a possible 110 points.

the point is that i only had ten minutes left in the exam when i got to question 6. you can imagine my horror when i saw how long the fact pattern was, and turned back to the first page to discover my mistake.

obviously, ten minutes were not quite enough time for me to effectively address the numerous issues contained in that problem. the bottom line is that i probably scored 2/30 on question six, and proabably about a 30/110 on the entire exam.

i mean 30/100.

despite the miserable situation, i have to say that it was a fair exam (especially compared to what happened last tuesday in the state of justice), and the questions were interesting. lots of cool stuff seemed to be happening in new bork. i liked it a lot when that kid leaned into traffic and got his head smashed in my that chick rose who was driving carefully down first street. that was pretty much how i felt by the end of the exam, especially when i discovered my mistake on question 6.

i also really liked what was going on between the arnolds and the levins. i wish that the story could have been longer. you just know that somewhere down the line, those two families each had a kid, and that those kids fell in love with each other, but had to keep their relationship a secret, and they'd meet out by the pond when their parents were at Wal-Mart, and they'd kiss and frolic and roll around in the goose shit.

also great was the image of the arnolds shouting religious slurs through a megaphone. that's got to be illegal.

now those of you who have been reading menlovian since the beginning may recall me mentioning how i wasn't learning anything in torts except for how "once upon a time, there was a drunk boy who was vomiting out of the window of a moving car, and who smashed his head on a cement post along the road..." or something along those lines. i went on to say that i would write about that on the exam.

well, i'm proud to say that i did get to include mcguiggan on the exam! you can imagine my excitement when i saw someone drunk at a party in the hypo. it was as if everything had come full circle for me.

the question i truly bombed on was the one where the guy was misdiagnosed for heart surgery. i read through the facts like three times, but i really didn't see what the problem was. i know these exams are all about issue spotting, but really the only issue that i spotted on that one was when the doctor was swabbing iodine onto his chest. i said that it was battery for her to do that. the point is that i really fucked up that question, which is pathetic, especially since i thought it was worth 30 points. basically i went into this long discussion of case law debating whether or not the cotton ball to his chest constituted battery.

in retrospect, i realize that since it was a fairly invasive procedure, the dude was probably anesthetized to the point of unconsciousness... and this pretty much undermines up my whole battery argument.

the bottom line is that i really fucked up. the best part of the exam was when it ended. by that point i was sweating, and my intestines felt like they were going to explode. inspired by question 6, i ran out to the bathroom and let loose with a raging torrent of molten tar which seemingly would not subside for several minutes.

and that's the thought i'd like to leave you all with for this week... four pints of hot, molten, tar-like guinness vomiting out of my ass in a rapid series of staccato bursts, like a shitty round of applause to punctuate the end of a shitty performance on the exam.

i'll talk to you all after the civ pro exam... good luck everyone.


41 Comments:

At 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how bitter and angry your tone has gotten. We are almost like real lawyers now.

 
At 9:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

can we talk about damien at the review session please.... i dont even know where to begin

 
At 10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

is anyone else dying here trying to study for civ pro? I mean, I think I am starting to get to that point that every 2L has mentioned- even though I told myself, no way am I going to stop caring towards the end of finals, i am going to keep on plugging away no matter how tired I am....yeah, well I know see what they are talking about, as it is 10 one day before the exam and all i have done is reviewed JNOV and just cant seem to do anything else....

 
At 11:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The civ pro review session was a true triumph of finals desperation. Started off well with that guy in the front calling Hunter "man." Then Demian (sp?) was even more pendantic than usual; a feat I thought impossible. Then complaining about diverging from the commercial outline, classic. Hold on, compadres.

 
At 12:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to be paternalistic, but this is not the forum for bashing on specific people. I have to give Demian respect for being able to be intellectually curious about even the most boring topic in law school. I myself didn't get the best first impression of Demian, but if you talk to him, he's actually a nice guy. Remember that this is a nicer, gentler hayrick.

-Somebody who is NOT Demian. Really.

 
At 1:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is beautiful.

 
At 1:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That IS beautiful... or cool at least. The art one- and also the vagina one.

 
At 1:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what are you talking about, the art one and the vagina one? when i clicked the link, i got a hilarious clip from TPIR.

 
At 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

christ almighty

 
At 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love menlovian

 
At 9:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

just out of curiosity... will i be the only one taking the civ pro midterm from 2-10 pm tomorrow night?

 
At 7:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Index in Glannon has

Fantasies
Archangel Gabriel, unexpected appearances, 163

 
At 10:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the eve of the exam, my Hail-Mary pass is to remind everyone of the great words of the nanster herself, commenting on exam performance- "You don't have to be an ace. You don't have to be a good cook. You just have to be able to shoot baskets and make a meal." And there you have it.

 
At 11:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I am experiencing the first signs of dementia. I am physically and mentally unable to do anything law related. I baked muffins today, for goodness sake. At least if this whole "lawyer" thing doesn't work out, I'll have a future at Dunkin Doughnuts...

BTW...was that Tony on TPIR???

 
At 11:47 PM, Blogger menlove said...

play nice everyone.

i'm glad that menlovian has reached a point of self-regulation. thank you to all of you guys who help to keep the tone positive here.

let me just add my two cents... demian seems like a great guy to me as well. think of all the times in crim when pitler hadn't said anything interesting for thirty minutes, and demian would ask a great question that would get the conversation back on track, or would at least say something to agitate the old codger, and make things interesting once again.

we need demian, and we're lucky to have him.

 
At 11:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thought you'd all enjoy this:

The election is over, the results are now known.
The will of the people has clearly been shown.
We should show by our thoughts and our words and our deeds
That unity's just what our country now needs.
Let's all get together. Let bitterness pass.
I'll hug your elephant. You kiss my ass.

 
At 12:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is stupid. The comment wasn't even a big deal or ANYTHING even offensive until all you people were like OH MY GOD BLAH... I'm sure he didn't even CARE.

 
At 12:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I disagree. Calling someone "even more pendantic [sic] than usual" could certainly be construed as being insulting.

 
At 1:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i would LOVE to see tony on the price is right... maybe playing plinko. it would also be great to see him spinning that big wheel.

 
At 1:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get lost fool. As if he doesn't know he is pedantic! Hey, I like him pedantic or not, I think he's a smart and nice guy- but don't kid yourself righteous blogger...

 
At 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We should sue for forcible sodomy.

 
At 6:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For all of you who like moralizing or taking pot shots at each other while remaining safely anonymous, consider this.

 
At 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

all these comments are making me cream.

 
At 11:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

look once and for all- everyone at bls sucks- it is a den for corniness, self righteousness, and intellectualism gone overboard and- if u think u don't suck its because you've sucked for so long u can't even remeber what it is to not suck (or, and probably even more likely, you have always sucked and are still in denial)- who cares what some anonymous person says about someone else- obviously if an anonymous poster had an actual problem they would be "man" enough to say it to a person's face- so just stop being so PC about something so trivial as calling pedantic- it is corny to call a specific person's name in a negative way anonymously, but then again how serious can u take it? chill out

 
At 11:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

also- civ pro exam sucked just like bls

 
At 12:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree... pedantic?.... seriously, pedantic- a word a would think most people have to look up in a dictionary- that's such a horrible thing to say about someone?- i swear u r the same kids who cried when people called u nerds- get serious

 
At 12:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, it's really obvious that two out of the last three entries were written by the same person... Whoever "u" are, just because you haven't been able to make any friends at BLS doesn't mean that everyone here sucks. Talk about your immature, grade-school reactions...


"WAH! I HATE EVERYONE! WAH!!!!"

 
At 12:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYI, when I said two out of the last three, I was refering to the entries at 11:41 and 12:25... I didn't know you all would be posting so fast and furiously!

 
At 12:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so cool 40 something comments! Menlove, you must be sp happy! ROCK ON Menlovian blogspot!

 
At 1:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

uh yeah- obviously the one that starts with "also" is connected with the one before it... secondly i'm not at law school to find friends- those of u that are no disrespect- just not my deal- i've already made mine- im sorry if i dont find your class references and law-school-humor funny, but you gotta see that anyone not in law school and not totally corny would look at this and be like "wow i can't believe this"- for example- the after finals party on the 20th- check out the rsvp website- check the comments from people that said they were going- people actually took time to write this stuff when it wasn't nec. just cause they thought it was funny- there are only a few that don't reference some stupid "inside law school joke"- if those comments aren't exactly what is conry at bls i dunno what is

 
At 1:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I've already made my friends!"

Good attitude.

By the way, "u" can call Demian pedantic all you like. Someday you'll be begging him for a job, and when he interviews you, he'll make you sit indian style on the floor of the bathroom, and will interview you while taking a dump.

I have no idea what that means, but I think it's where you're headed. Fortunately, you've got already got your friends, so you've got nothing to worry about.

I agree that the Evite list is out of control (actually there was an article in the Voice last week about stupid Evite-related behavior), but it seems to me that the only reason someone would be so put off by inside jokes is because they feel like such an outsider.

Try being nicer, and you may even find room for some new friends in that closed-off, frightened little heart of yours.

 
At 2:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

does anyone know how and when we get our grades?

 
At 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sound so stupid saying "I have enough friends" thats like what some 5th grade bully says when his mom sends him to fat camp and he has a hard time getting along with the kids...

Also, I just looked at the "corny e-vite" comments, and I don't even know who any of those people are, they must be 1-6.

Also #2, YOU'RE THE ONE READING MENLOVE so you must have a secret desire...

 
At 3:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Menlove. I have 2 poll suggestions. One just to see how many people read menlove... and the other to see what everyone's 3 arguments were for the civ pro #1, that is a hot topic in my little corny circle.

 
At 6:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How long were everyone's answers? I didn't even come close to the word limit. Also, how long did the exam take everyone?

 
At 6:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

7 hours including me stopping to pay the delivery guy, eat a sandwich, eat a brownie, masturbate, and i wrote 2500 words

 
At 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you guys...
truly and honestly.

I belive every one of these communal postings should begin with everyone calling out in unison "Ave Caesar morituri te salutant!"

 
At 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not that I'm serving as an example here, I honestly don't have the energy to take 3 minutes and create a profile and that's why I'm posting anonymously, but I think those of you that are throwing insults around should actually identify yourselves or create a profile so we can follow your postings.

 
At 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anyone else realize that they know absolutely nothing about Con. Law? How does a 2 credit class become such an absolute nightmare all of a sudden? And what's up w/ Hellerstein not teaching us what we need to know, my notes from class are really little, not nearly the type of stuff I need to know going into this thing. I know some of you are going to get defensive in his name but come on, 34k should at least buy me some teaching that would help me understand con. law.

 
At 10:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whats the point of creating a profile if it's not a real name anyway? Anon is as good to me as any sassed-up name.

 
At 12:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im glad Im not the only one who masturbated during civ pro - 8 hours is a long time.
I basically got to the word limit though.
I like Hella and he sure beats the piss out of P if we're comparing, but I'd agree that he could have laid down the material in a more striaghtfoward manner - like Nan or even Big T (though Nan's beutiful charts could put anything in perspective). I suppose Con Law is not so conducive to such chart based teaching though.
I too am glad I spent the entire night before the exam learning Preclusion (and appeals and DV and JNOV) as that sure came in handy.
How the hell can she just leave out the latter half of the syllabus and test us on the first half (outside of arbitration and her warm and fuzzy love of process 'values' - how the hell does civ pro harbor values, I mean a robot could learn that subject).
I loved Nan and her lemon wedges (which BTW I think is among the funniest, laugh-out-loud posts Menlove has posted thus far) but I frikin hated that material.
Also, Menlove whats up with the lack of "Reflections on Exam (part 3)" - c'mon we need ya!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home