Thursday, April 14, 2005

all sorts of shit

i've been meaning to write something for the last week or two about mitch hedberg, a great comedian who was recently found dead in a new jersey hotel room. his death didn't get much coverage because it was in the middle of a parade of much larger, high-profile deaths on TV and such.

regardless, he was a truly unique performer. like steven wright, hedberg was king of the razor-sharp one-liner, and many of his hyper-literal observations were extremely memorable.

i thought i'd dedicate a little space on menlovian to some of his greatest (or at least my favorite) jokes. so i hope you all enjoy, and here's to you, mitch.

Example

I had a bag of Fritos, but these were Texas Grilled Fritos. These Fritos had grill marks on them. Hell yeah. Reminds me of summer time, when we used to fire up the barbeque and throw down some Fritos. I can still see my dad with the apron on. "Better flip that Frito, Dad. You know how I like mine: with grill marks."

I order a club sandwich all the time. And I'm not even a member, I don't know how I get away with it. "I like my sandwiches with three pieces of bread." "So do I." "Lets form a club then." "Okay, but we're gonna need more stipulations." "Yes we do." "OK... Instead of cutting it once, lets cut it again." "Yeah, four triangles." "And we will position them in a circle. And in the middle we will dump chips. Or potato salad." "Let me ask you a question, how do you feel about frilly toothpicks?" "I'm for 'em!"

Mr. Pibb is a replica of Dr. Pepper, but it's a bullshit replica, 'cuz the dude didn't even get his degree. Alright.

Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.

Some people say "I don't care if people are white, black, purple or green". Ah hold on now... purple or green? You gotta draw the line somwhere. To hell with purple people! Unless they're suffocatin'... then, help 'em!

I got some tartar control toothpaste. I still got tartar, but that shit's under control. If the tartar gets outta line, I'm like, "come on, man. You know the deal. You crazy-ass tartar" I got so much tartar, I don't have to dip my fish sticks in shit!...That's actually kinda gross.

My belt holds my pants up, but the belt loops hold my belt up. So which one's the real hero?

I find that duck's opinions of me are very much influenced over whether or not I have bread. A duck loves bread, but he does not have the capability to buy a loaf. That's the biggest joke on a duck ever. Like, if I worked in a convenience store, and a duck walked in a took a loaf of bread in it's beak, I would let it. I would say, "Come back tomorrow, bring your friends." When I think of a duck's friends, I think of more ducks in tow. But, they could have a beaver in there, too. Cause if you're an animal, you want to have a beaver as a friend, cause they have some kickass houses. Right on the lake. "Fuck lakeside, this is lake ON!"

I like the FedEx guy, 'cause he is a drug dealer and he don't even know it! And he is always on time.

This product that was on TV was available for four easy payments of $19.95. I would like a product that was available for three easy payments and one fucking complicated payment. We can't tell you which payment it is, but one of these payments is going to be a bitch. The mailman will get shot to death, the envelope will not seal, and the stamp will be in the wrong denomination. Good luck fucker. The last payment must be made in wampum.

There's a commercial on late-night TV for this thing you attach to a garden hose, it says "You can water your hard-to-reach plants with this product." Who the fuck would make their plants hard to reach!? That seems so very mean. "I know you need water, but I'm gonna make you hard to reach. I will throw water at you. Hopefully, they will invent a product before you shrivel and die. Think like a cactus!"

One time a guy handed me a picture of himself, and he said, "Here's a picture of me when I was younger." Every picture of you is of when you were younger. Here's a picture of me when I am older. You son of a bitch, how'd you pull that off? Let me see that camera ...

An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. You would never see an escalator "Temporarily Out of Order" sign, just "Escalator Temporarily Stairs... Sorry for the Convenience ... We apologize for the fact that you can still get up there."

A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer.

I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too.

***

so i guess school was pretty cool today. contracts was fairly straightforward, and poser was pretty funny when he reminded us that "you can't kill your parents and say, 'but i'm an orphan.'"

and the bagel party in legal writing was a nice way to end the year with robyn. i enjoyed listening to her talk so much shit about pennsylvania and the entire south, and the bagels and muffins were a nice little treat, so all in all, i can't complain. i thought she was a pretty good professor all things considered, though i did see a few people writing some bad reviews on the evaluation forms.

also interesting was robyn's refutation of beryl's theory that we should choose classes to prepare us for our career, not for the bar exam. i was wondering if anyone else has heard anything about which is the right way to select courses for the next two years.

in other news, the names of the people who made the 2nd round for the moot court tryout were posted this afternoon. i'd like to congratulate the following people from my section who made the cut:

meaghan a.
scott c.
jed f.
brittany h.
allison j.
david k.
woody l.
knox m.
demian o.
aimee s.
lishani s.

i'm proud of you guys, and i hope you all go out there and kick arse in the 2nd round. and a little message to the rest of the school... if you find yourself paired up against one of these eleven section 9'ers in the second round, you'd better bring your A-game, because these eleven folks keep their shit tight. (this is especially true if you find yourself paired up againt someone on this list whose name rhymes with either reagan, box, or, well, demian... with these three, you're entering a world of pain.) section 9, represent, baby baby!

(speaking of entering a world of pain, as you know, i'm always quoting from the big lebowski, which a lot of people claim is the best movie of all time, or at least the most quotable. seems like at least once every few weeks, i overhear people at school talking about it and trading quotes back and forth.

to let you in on a little menlovian secret, i actually never saw this movie until last week. until then, i'd just been pulling quotes off of the web, and inserting them where i thought they'd sound funny. anyway, now that i've seen it, i'm a little bit confused as to what all the fuss is about. yes, it was definitely funny... walter was a great character, and turturro was a scene-stealer, but overall it didn't blow my mind or anything like that. although i've heard that it is a movie you've got to see multiple times to fully "get it," i'm wondering whether it's really worth all the effort. your thoughts?)

finally, someone raised an interesting issue on the message board about who was the best professor of our 1L year... the general consensus is that the heavyweight bout would have to come down to sebok vs. poser.

unfortunately, i have had trouble posting polls lately, so we won't be able to decide the issue that way, but still, i thought we could open up the discussion boards on this topic.

so here's what i'm looking for on the message boards...
  • on the topic of mitch hedberg and stand-up in general, who are the best comedians out there right now?
  • thoughts on the bagel party / legal writing in general
  • theories of course selection... bar prep vs. career prep
  • is lebowski really that funny?
  • and finally, who's the top gun, sebok or poser?

thanks for playing, kids. don't forget to open up your hearts to the people of africa. skip that second cup of douwe, send me a dollar pledge (or more, if you can swing it), and do something that really matters with your scrizzle.

i hope you all have a great weekend. especially janice cooperman, sam levy, marc-andre wolfe, and juanita parker: i hope you four have the time of your life.

-menlove

34 Comments:

At 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

top gun = sebok, hands down

lebowski = overrated

bar or career prep = bar

bagel party = i wasn't invited

best comedian = dave chapelle

menlovian = my favorite URL

 
At 10:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what is with the new "have a nice to day to...." menlove?

and i'm also up for a little section 8 party goissp

i thought robyn sucks. obviously.

 
At 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

-I'm gonna have to go with Jerry Seinfeld still, and Chris Rock a close second (as long as he is doing stand-up rather than a movie).
-The bagel party was fun, but still not the same as drinks.
Speaking of the bagel party, big props to Ryan for this hilarious interchange:
Robyn (during a Q&A regarding the writing competition): Does anyone have any other questions?
Ryan: Yeah, can you slide the OJ down here?
-No theory on courses yet, and not a big fan of The Big Lebowski.
-I think Sebok is hilarious and very smart, but I gotta give the award to Poser cause he is also very funny and smart, and on top of that, he is concerned about our success more than Sebok seemed to be. Also, Poser gets points cause I got a feeling he was the biggest pimp back in his younger days, which is always good.

 
At 11:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

on bar prep v career...

the bar is on ny state law.
the courses are on national law.
(except for ny civil practice and whatnot)

so, take what you're interested in. this is the last 24 month period to experiment for a while, kids. rock on!

also, i could kick your moot court kids' asses any day.*

--mystery from another section

*please don't jump down my throat. this is all in good fun. we're all smart adults here.

 
At 11:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You 1Ls didn't have Kuklin (I don't think), but take him if you ever get a chance (which you probably won't - he teaches 1L torts and contracts mostly). But no one carried a class as well as him of the teachers I've been through thus far.

Driscoll is the best legal writing teacher, although he teaches one of the night sections. He drags his student's to O'Keefe's all the time. Again, this is probably useless info for this site's readers, but Driscoll kicked ass and deserves a shoutout where any sort of best professor list is forming.

Big Lebowski was great but the Coen Brothers are an acquired taste and you often have to be in the right mood to appreciate them properly. That said, Hudsucker Proxy, Fargo, and O Brother Where Art Thou are all better Coen Brothers movies than Lebowski.

The best comedians are dead, unfortunately. Bill Hicks tops that list, followed by Richard Pryor and Sam Kinnison. Lenny Bruce doesn't make the list b/c he wasn't actually funny - just profoundly obscene for his time.

David Cross and Sarah Silverman are probably the funniest living stand up acts today, imo. Eddie Izzard is deserving of mention. And George Carlin, although his better days are behind him, still manages to be funny when the mood strikes him.

I lack knowledge or information sufficient to form a belief as to the alleged fun had at the bagel party.

 
At 11:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On upper level course selection, look out for fliers that advise on this very issue. Last year there was a really helpful event in the student lounge where different members of the faculty spoke for 5-10 minutes apiece on how to approach it.

Although I plan on taking the CPLR course, I'm not gearing my schedule around the bar exam - you pay BarBri or Pieper thousands of dollars for just that purpose. Take what you think will help you get employed in your chosen area and take what you are genuinely interested in.

 
At 12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

escalator joke is the one i remember most- Richard Pryor was the best, Eddie Murphy stand up will always be dumb funny. Lebowski is real funny but its like anything else: if you hear how great it is for a long time before you see it, you overhype it. it's hard for it to live up to expectations when you here so much about it. I could care less about methods of choosing classes right now. Sebok was more "heady" and funny but I feel like Poser is more personal/ friendly, and he's got a little Austin Powers

 
At 12:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Menlove for going out on a such a high note.... These posts lately have been very welcome.

-Hedberg was great. Lenny Bruce was great too just very ahead of his time so pretty dated.
-Teitcher bought Section 7 donuts.... We legal writing classes are very easy to win over
-Not thinking about class selection until finals are done
-Big Lebowski makes more sense when you get into the meta-Raymond Chandler/Dashiell Hammett (and the Kraftwerk references, which I was the only person laughing at in the theater). Like, the fact that the whole mystery never resolves itself. There was a quote about the Maltese Falcon about how they had to call Hammett because no one could figure out "who did it" but he didn't know, but it didn't matter because the dialogue was so great. So the Coens transplant a beach bum into the Maltese Falcon and hilarity ensues. That's my undergraduate film analysis anyway.
-Section 7 favs were Cheng first semester and Pinto this semester. My classmates would probably disagree on the latter, but for instance he was on fire today.

But here's the real question: If I pledge to pay $5000 to the charity, is there valid consideration? What if I pledged to find out Menlove's identity? What if my intent was just to donate to a charity? How would the Restatement and UCC resolve this? (15 points)

 
At 12:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't forget the giant chocolate turkey Teitcher got us before thanksgiving!! (which she proceeded to hack with a knife into 40 equal pieces) Better than that spinach and brocolli pizza that we got after oral arguments last semester.

 
At 12:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree with 12:26, menlove. you've been giving some great stuff lately. if i get my tax return back in time, i'll give what i can to africare.

also in response to 12:26's lebowski analysis... (1) what's the kraftwerk reference? i've seen the movie numerous times, but must have missed it. (2) do you really feel that the "mystery never resolves itself"? i'm not sure that i agree with you on this point.

 
At 1:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Kraftwerk reference was the Autobahn album cover and the dialogue.... I mean, it's not really hilarious in retrospect but I thought it was at the time. And yeah I guess it's not so much the mystery doesn't resolve itself as just sort of trails off. When the Dude is explaining how he's figured it all out but Walter is pissed that it's Shomer Shabas. But we never find out who wins the bowling tournament. And the Cowboy says at the end, "well that about wraps her all up" even though nothing really got resolved. But like I said, it's just undergraduate film class fodder.

 
At 1:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Mitch quotes, Menlove. I needed a laugh, and got nine or ten instead.

 
At 2:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The last payment must be made in wampum." F'in hilarious.

 
At 6:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Menlove in '08.

 
At 6:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My friend said to me, "You know what I like? Mashed potatoes." I was like, "Dude, you have to give me time to guess. If you're going to quiz me you have to insert a pause."

Mitch abides.

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Saucy Intruder said...

12:26:
If Pinto's exam looks anything like that question, I'm good as gold :)
Cheng was the man though. "Excellent Ms. Kalachman, you're manipulating the timeline." He even said it in this science fiction villain voice.

12:35:
Let's not forget the room full of sick law students who all put their hands in that chocolate turkey. And that the room was so hot that it pretty much was a puddle of chocolate turkey by the end. And I totally don't remember that pizza. Which is surprising. I usually remember pizza.

 
At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pinto and Cheng are both fantastic. I believe Pinto teaches Corporations and Cheng teaches Evidence. Two popular classes amongst upperclassment. YOu won't be disappointed with either...

 
At 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saucy, you don't remember the pizza party Schneider threw us after our last civ pro class?

 
At 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darby- That RLUIPA case seems to be about land use, our issue was only about the institutionalized persons part of the stat

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Saucy Intruder said...

I don't. Oh wait! yeah, we had to go to the cafeteria annex. And there wasn't only spinach and broccoli pizza. There was just mostly spinach and broccoli pizza.

I think that was carbozo's favorite.

 
At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In England, Smokey the Bear is not the forest fire prevention representative. They have Smackey the Frog. It's just like a bear, but it's a frog. I think it's a better system, I think we should adopt it. Because bears can be mean, but frogs are always cool. Never has there been a frog hopping toward me, and I thought 'man, I'd better play dead. Here comes that frog ...'

You never say here comes that frog in a nervous manner. It's always optimistic. Hey here comes that frog, all right. Maybe he will settle near me so I can pet him, and stick him in a mayonnaise jar, with a stick and a leaf, to recreate what he's used to. And I'm pretty sure I'd have to punch some holes in the lid, because he's damn sure used to air. Then I can observe him, and he won't be doing much in his 16-ounce world.

and the best of all (especially for 1Ls):

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

 
At 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Big M,

Dude, whats up with the 'have the time of your life thing' - I realize its been asked though I want to pressure you to respond.

Also I love the Dozer but the Boker is tough to beat for sheer entertainment value, though I agree w/ a previous post in that Torts is already the rockstar of 1L courses so it might be an unfair comparison.

The best comedian alive today, in terms of standup is Eddie Murphy, though his best days (and most ostentatious leather suits) are behind him.

 
At 6:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

section 8's moot courters could kick section 9's asses!

 
At 11:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Owen Equipment,

Preppies, huh?

When the smackdown comes, section 8 can do all the dancing it wants. But when the music stops, it will be your asses on the floor.

Demian

 
At 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think Demian just got gangsta on someone

 
At 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has anyone heard anything about the schedules for the 2nd round? They're supposed to start Monday for the Day Students, and it would be kind of nice to know if my audition is in 2 or 5 days.

 
At 1:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i would just like to say as a section 8'er that section 8 can kick section 9's moot court asses!

 
At 2:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does anyone know about when the trial ad results are available?

 
At 3:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you can go to the desk where you signed in for 1st round and they will give you the name of your opponent, the time and date of your 2nd round, and you rm #

-hope that helps

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger menlove said...

to be fair, ANPLTPOP, at least three people on that list actually have donated to BLSforGood either anonymously or under a different pseudonym.

i also must say that i disagree with your line about how i "really really" want to reveal who i am. i always thought it would be super cool if i did this thing all year, then vanished, leaving people to wonder about my identity for years to come, the only people knowing who i am being myself and my best friend PSM. however, there was a week or two where people started emailing me offering bribes in exchange for my identity (one person in class - who shall remain nameless - even offered to "fuck my brains out" if i would tell her, as long as i was "reasonably attractive. which i am. i'm friggin' hot.). this got me thinking, and soon enough my bleeding heart started pounding, and i realized that i might be able to parlay my anonymity into a really amazing force for change (or at least a $1500 force for change, which is still pretty decent...)

now i do agree with you on some level, ANPLTPOP, that it IS a little bit frustrating how there are certain people who i've seen reading menlove all year, who always post on the boards, and who are constantly talking about my identity, but who can't even find it in their heart to pony up a single stinking dollar for the poor children born orphaned and with AIDS in africa.

but on the other hand, you know what? no one ever asked me to make menlovian. in a sense, i'm like that mariachi trio who shows up out of nowhere and starts serenading you and your special person while you're sitting on your bahamian hotel balcony, enjoying the sunset and sipping a planter's punch. sure, they're entertaining, but when they hold out their hats at the end of the show, why the fuck should you have to give them anything? is there a duty to pay in such situations?

unfortunately, i don't know. a year later, i'm still a menlove, and i guess i ought to get back to my contracts outline.

but before i go, let me say three things:

(1) thank you once again to those of you who dropped a few dollars in my sweaty sombrero. i have tremendous respect for all of you, whether you donated a few dollars, or a hunred, or more.

(2) thanks for all of the "doggy treats" from those of you who have posted on the discussion board for this entry. it makes me feel good to see 30+ responses to one of my entries. makes me feel all tingly and sexy.

(3) finally, a message to the moot courters in section 8 from everyone in section 9:

"we eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast."

"you eat pieces of shit for breakfast?"

"no!"

enjoy the rest of the weekend, my friends.

-menlove

 
At 8:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a good weekend to,m-lova

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger Saucy Intruder said...

Hee Hee ANPLTPOP... I guess I'll give Menlove a dollar. After that special night we had in the Ohio Digests, how can I say no to you!

 
At 8:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you had sex by the Ohio digests too??? I thought that was my spot.

 
At 9:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gentle M, I love that you called P.S.M. your best friend... I hope it works out for you two.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home