Thursday, February 17, 2005

t.v. shows that mattered

warning: today's menlovian contains some images not suitable for some viewers. discretion is advised. although compared to that horrible link someone posted on yesterday's message board, this stuff is nothing.

sorry to have confused some (or at least one) of you with my obscure reference to jessie spano.

jessie spano was a character on one of the all time great t.v. shows, saved by the bell. the quote i hit you with yesterday came from an episode called "jessie's song." in this 30-minute slice of t.v. heaven, jessie (played by elizabeth berkley), kelly kapowski (tiffani-amber thiessen) and lisa turtle (lark voorhies) form a kick-ass girl pop trio called "hot sundae."

by the end of the episode, jessie succumbs to the pressure of midterms and band practice. to cope, she starts using - and quickly becomes addicted to - caffeine pills.

slater warns her how dangerous the pills can be, and jessie responds, "yeah, well not as dangerous as geometry!" great stuff right there.

eventually, after various confrontations with her friends, jessie breaks down, and utters the immortal words... "i'm so excited! i'm so excited! i'm so... scared."

unable to perform with hot sundae at "the max," the girls get spazzy-ass screech to fill in for her. let the good times roll.

it was a great episode, and in retrospect, i realize that if not for "jessie's song," i may never have had the courage to confront my own caffeine addiction. thank you, brandon tartakoff.

so here's a pic of elizabeth berkley circa 1990...

Example

basically cute... wholesome... a little mannish for my tastes, but she certainly seemed like a girl who had her head on straight.

well, we all know where this story ends up...

Example

good lord! obviously, this pic is from showgirls, one of the worst movies ever... truth be told, it's a movie so bad, it's actually quite good.

showgirls dialogue sample #1:

Zack Carey: Why did you stop hooking? You had your future pretty well mapped out for yourself

Nomi Malone: I did what I had to do.

Zack Carey: Just like you did with Cristal.

Nomi Malone: I'm not a whore.

Zack Carey: No... you're not. You're gonna be a big star. Your face is gonna be up on billboards. You're gonna make a lot of money for the Stardust.

Nomi Malone: What about Molly?

Zack Carey: I'll make sure he gives her enough money, she can have a dress shop. Tell me something, how much did you charge?

[Nomi is confused]

Zack Carey: Hooking

Nomi Malone: Fifty. Hundred sometimes.

Zack Carey: You got low self-esteem baby, you're a fantastic fuck.

[Nomi spits in his face]

***
wow. someone actually wrote all that. but zack's got a point, she put on a pretty amazing performance in the swimming pool for him. her wild gyrations knocked about a foot of water out of the pool. the whole time she was riding him, i'm wondering, "what would mr. belding think???"

showgirls dialogue sample #2:

Nomi Malone: Don't they have brown rice and vegetables?

Cristal Connors: Do you like brown rice and vegetables?

Nomi Malone: Yeah.

Cristal Connors: You do?

Nomi Malone: Sort of.

Cristal Connors: Really?

Nomi Malone: It's worse than dog food.

[Cristal laughs]

Nomi Malone: It is!

Cristal Connors: I've had dog food.

Nomi Malone: You have?

Cristal Connors: Mmm-hmmm. Long time ago. Doggy Chow. I used to love Doggy Chow.

Nomi Malone: I used to love Doggy Chow, too!

[Cristal and Nomi touch their chips together]

***
wow... freakin' awesome shit. what would sebok have to say about all of this? for those of you who plan auctions to raise money for whatever causes you care about, think about putting that up on the block: a private screening of showgirls for you and somefriends with special guest commentary provided throughout by big tony. throw in some pints of guinness, and i'm in for two hundy.

***

however, elizabeth berkley wasn't the only chica to go from moderately cute to absolutely smokin' hot after saved by the bell.

you know where this is going:

before:

Example

after:

Example

mommy, there's something moving in my pajama pants!

pretty much the same thing happened to lisa turtle.

before:

Example

after:

Example

hot damn, kilogram! it's amazing what a bayside high diploma will do for you.

***
while we're on the topic of t.v. shows that mattered... does anyone recognize this guy?

http://www.morrisoncohen.com/bio/bio_saviano.htm

only 6 days of hell left... hang in there!

-menlove

return to menlove's greatest hits

31 Comments:

At 12:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't tell me that's fucking Paul Pfeifer!

 
At 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

for all you "saved" fans like myself, there's actually a great E! True Hollywood Stories about the history of the show, and where the cast is today. remember when Kelly left Zack for that older loser Jeff, who was cheating on her sorry ass? Anyway, when Z&K broke up, they played "how am I supposed to live without you," and I still get a little weepy whenever I hear the song...

 
At 10:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To whoever posted goatse yesterday--now I'm a big advocate of using that site to shock the hell out of people and make them laugh out loud at work, school, wherever. But this is a public forum, people, let's show a little respect and tact, and only use such vulgarities when absolutely necessary.

 
At 4:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

menlove, i have laughed many times while reading your blog. sometimes i've even laughed out loud. but never before have i laughed like when i saw the lisa turtle "after" photo.

 
At 9:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you've got to wonder... why does tiffani amber thiessen's bikini top have pockets in it... and what does she keep in there?

 
At 11:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For Section 8: Be like Martin Rose. Implicitly request reasonable accomodation with a t-shirt! Comes in XXXXL.

 
At 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude, thats a sweet t-shirt. maybe the back can read 'Martin just wasnt pulling his own weight.'

 
At 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paul from the wonder years is a corporate lawyer!? That is FUCKED. Whatever happened to Winnie? She's the first girl I ever jerked off to.

 
At 8:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, does anyone know where to get ahold of "Parker Lewis Can't Lose" episodes.
via website, bit-torrent, shady ex arms dealer, anything.

 
At 5:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.angelfire.com/tv2/parkerlewiscantlose/downloads.html

this brief has made me all "research-crazy!!!"

 
At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

someone asked about winnie cooper...
http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/40216.htm

 
At 9:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet that I'm the single most behind on my brief in the entire school. I'm not quite half done yet. Can anyone beat that?
Suck it bitches!

 
At 12:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I beat that- I'm not even done with my point headings...

 
At 1:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will not start my brief tonight. Nor tomorrow. Rather, I will wait, confident in my effortless genius, until the year 2147, when I will send one of my houseboys back in time, stripped naked, with 10 pages of perfect, trenchant analysis, so adversarial as to dangle on the edge of impudence, so eloquent as to dip periodically into poignance, tattooed across his smooth, brown back. He will enter the library unseen at 10:45am and turn in a completed brief at 10:58am. My houseboys shall be very impressive typists with inhumanly flexible vertebrae.

 
At 2:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I beat everyone. I have one paragraph and it is 2:30.

 
At 5:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

jerked off, slept, saw the gates, hung out with friends, watched the all star game, drank beer all weekend until tonight, then i...
skimmed cases 9 pm-10 pm
wrote everything except table of authorities and argument 10-11pm
made crappy outline 11-12:30 pm
watched conan 12:30-1:30 am
wrote argument 130-430 am
wrote table of authorities 430-5 am
proofread 5-530

law school is damn easy when you choose to be happy with B's and B+'s.

 
At 5:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, about 4 and a half hours yet and I have yet to edit my argument. proofreading at 9 am will be glorious!!! Ah a B or B+ on this brief would even be more amazing since I am the worst brief writer in the history of brief writing. but at least there was 7 hours of Michael Jackson videos on tv today........... and to the last poster if you really did nothing all weekend until today and get a B or B+ then Big up Brooklyn to you

 
At 6:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

will she notice if everything is in one long sentence and at the end i just put LEMON V KURT A. I. II.

 
At 6:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

will schneider care if I slap her around with my 20 pages of garbage???

 
At 6:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

4 pm drinking is the light at the end of the tunnel. no sleep though is going to hurt... and damn you for being done.............

 
At 6:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is this "brief" thing you are all speaking of? Is it due today?

 
At 7:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No but really I have lost my will to live.

 
At 8:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I HAVE YOU ALL BEAT. It is 8:05 and I just changed around my last point heading. Maybe at 10 AM i can finally enjoy a celebratory beer. I wonder if Beryl will mind when I bring a six pack to class.

 
At 1:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

NO- I HAVE YOU ALL BEAT, LOL!!! I JUST ATE A TERD SANDWICH WITHOUT USING MY HANDS- LOL!!! I ONLY STARTED 5 MINUTES AGO BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER WHEN YOU LIKE IT ON YOUR FACE- AREN'T YOU OTHER ANONYMOUS BLOGGERS JEALOUS OF MY BRILLIANT PROCRASTINATION- LETS SEE WHO CAN POST THE KEWLEST THING!!!

 
At 2:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I posted my horrible start time not to "show off my brilliant procrastination" but because I was wallowing in apathy and feeling bad for myself... I was happy to see I am not the only one who puts everything off until the last minute. If you got from those posts that we are proud to never get anything done in time you have poor sense and will be a shitty ass lawyer one day.

 
At 2:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I posted my horrible start time not to "show off my brilliant procrastination" but because I was wallowing in apathy and feeling bad for myself... I was happy to see I am not the only one who puts everything off until the last minute. If you got from those posts that we are proud to never get anything done in time you have poor sense and will be a shitty ass lawyer one day.

 
At 2:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh and also turd is with a u, so you wont be a speller either i guess

 
At 10:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

all i can say is i started my brief before you, i finished my brief before you, and i will get a better grade on it than you. can anyone beat that?

oh yea, i'm a better speller than you, and my dad can kick your dad's ass. ok. i think that's it.

 
At 12:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a dork. Who cares if you started your paper a month ago! If it is any reflection of your dumb posts I am sure you will get a shitty grade. LOSER.

 
At 5:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i would think people would catch the sarcasm after they saw the "my dad can kick your dad's ass", but i guess that brief really fried the brain!

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger menlove said...

people,

the lisa turtle "after" picture has vanished on me. if anyone finds a funny replacement online, let me know and i'll post it in its spot!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home