Friday, March 04, 2005

good news!

after many weeks of trying, i was actually able to line up a summer job this afternoon! as i have been hoping all along, i will be clerking this summer at the u.s. supreme court for chief justice rehnquist. my responsibilities will include changing his colostomy bag, telling him how to interpret the constitution, and advising him as to what types of stripes, patches and doilies he should sew onto his robe to give him more of an authoritative air.

i'll admit that i was a bit nervous going in there for the interview. in the waiting room outside his chambers, it was me with all these columbia and yale types, all of whom had already earned their JD's and passed the bar and edited their law reviews and everything else, all with high grades and distinctions, and then there i was, sitting in the corner, reading my casenotes for property class, not even wearing matching socks.

truth be told, the interview did not go well at first. rehnquist was so bored and annoyed with me, he hardly even paid attention to what i was saying about my background and pathetic undergraduate accomplishments. in fact, he was eating sour patch kids the entire time i was there. when i asked if i could have one, he told me, and i quote, "if you touch my sour patch kids, i will choke you like the little bitch that you are." (rehnquist is a man of such intellect and gravitas that the words actually come out of his mouth italicized!)

then he started asking me questions about the law and about my opinions on current matters of united states jurisprudence; i alternately answered "can i pass?" or "i take the fifth?" he soon tired of me, and told me to see myself out.

with a heavy heart, i accepted yet another round of professional rejection; however, my saving grace was that as i got up to leave, i started hearing this weird gurgling sound behind me. i almost ignored it, but it turned into this sick, wet rattling noise. i looked behind me, and there was chief justice rehnquist standing at his desk, choking on a sour patch kid.

there were tears running down his cheeks, and a thin trail of snot had rocketed out of his nose. his old hands were clasped around his neck, making the universal sign for choking.

you can imagine that i was more than a little freaked out. there was no time to think, so i jumped into action. unfortunately, i don't know how to do CPR or anything like that, so what i did was to start looking at all the stuff on his desk, trying to find something i could use to whack him on the back, and hopefully dislodge the offending piece of candy.

his desk was a mess, full of all sorts of clutter and bric-a-brac. there were several bottles of mad dog 20/20, Example and i was just about to grab a bottle of banana red, but i figured that could be dangerous if it accidentally shattered on his back as i hit him with it. so instead, i picked up this five pound dumbell he was using as a paperweight, but then i thought better of it, because if there's one thing i've learned this week, it's that those things can actually be rather deadly. so finally i just grabbed this big phone directory off of his desk. its cover said "NAMBLA membership guide 2005," and while this struck me as being a bit curious, there was no time to think. i just rolled it up into a tube like you would to swat a fly, brought my arm back as far as i could, then started hacking away at the justice's back.

at first i thought it was working, because i heard some things beginning to dislodge. but as it turns out, justice rehnquist is like a really frail old man, and the impact of the NAMBLA guide was denting his rib cage and spinal column with every swing. i had to stop, lest i leave his body riddled with concave dents and divots.

by this point the old codger was turning blue, and i knew that i had to think fast. i grabbed him by the shoulders, and spun him around to face me, then stuck my hand as far as i could into his mouth. my hope was that i'd be able to grab the obstruction with my fingers, but alas, it was too far down his windpipe for me to reach it.

but then i saw something. it was the craziest thing, but the chief justice had this little hole right on the front of his neck.* it looked like a wrinkly and crusty belly button that had gone on a hike straight up his body!

i realized that this could not be a coincidence. this strange and wonderful neck-portal was there for a reason: for me to save the life of the chief justice of the united states supreme court!

so i cupped my left hand around the back of his skull to hold his head steady, then i took my right index finger, and slowly thrust my finger into his throat. there was some rough friction at first, but by the time i got past the second knuckle, it slid along rather easily. and then i felt it! i could just barely reach it, even with my finger rammed in as far as it would go, i could only touch it with my finger tip, but there was no doubt that i had found the sour patch kid.

but still, all i could do was nudge it around a little bit. his adam's apple bobbed back and forth as i probed and prodded the candy with my finger, and little bubbles started to form at the corner of his mouth, but i simply could not dislodge the damn thing.

i knew that there was only one chance left to save his life. i yanked my finger out of his neck, pulling out a long trail of phlegmy goo that smelled strangely of banana red, then grabbed the back of his neck like i was going to give him a kiss, but instead, i wrapped my mouth around the hole in his neck, and began sucking away at it with a vigorous head-bobbing motion. the sucking and slurping noises were like something straight out of a careena collins video, but it was working: i was definitely moving the sour patch kid closer and closer to my mouth! occasionally, his neckhole would kind of get clogged up, but i was fortunately able to clear it with a few flicks of my tongue, without even interrupting my frantic head-bobbing and sucking motions.

and then, with the sound of a half-chewed sour patch kid being sucked out through the neck hole of an old man's throat, i sucked the sour patch kid out of the neck hole of the old man's throat!

it took a minute or two for justice rehnquist to regain his composure, but i didn't mind waiting. i just stood there proudly with a big smile on my face, chewing away happily at the warm and sour lump of candy in my mouth.

but then i remembered: chief justice rehnquist had made it very clear to me earlier that i was not to touch his candy! oh fuck, i thought to myself as my smile transformed into a scowl, i just disobeyed the chief justice of the supreme court. is that illegal? or were his words just dicta? what is the difference between holding and dicta, anyway? i remember professor solan talking about it during orientation. why didn't you listen, menlove! what is it with you always making up stories and daydreaming when you should be learning instead? for all you know, you're chewing on that candy right now in flagrant violation of the constitution! it's probably just a matter of time before--

my inner monologue was interrupted by rehnquist himself, who had by this point fully recovered, and put his hand on the back of my neck.

"i... i am so sorry, your honor. i know you warned me that if i ate your sour patch kid, you'd choke me like a little bitch, and i..."

but then, the irony of these words dawned on me. his warning to me, and what had actually happened, it was just so ridiculous! it was the type of thing that really could only happen in a work of fiction tossed off at one in the morning by a 1L looking for any excuse to procrastinate, when he should be writing his opening statement for the moot court tryout. rehnquist noticed the irony as well, and smiled warmly into my face. he pulled me in close to his body, and embraced me like i was his girlfriend. his fingers traced some lazy circles on the small of my back, and with his old lips, he whispered two sweet words into my ear: "you're hired."

so that's pretty much how i got my summer job.

*by the way, i hope that i didn't offend anyone with my description of the "neck portal." my grandma actually had a tracheotomy, and i know that in most circles, they are no laughing matter. i loved my grandma very much, and now i sort of feel bad for making light of it. but it took a long time to write this story, and most of you have a good sense of humor, so i'm going to let it stand, so if anyone was offended, i apologize. sorry to you as well, grams! you know i miss you and love you.

***

one last thing... i came across this site where you can see the campaign finance contributions our professors made in 2004, and to which candidates they contributed. be sure to view pages 1 & 2. strangely enough, one of our classmates is listed with the faculty as well! i didn't know that knox was already a professor, but it doesn't surprise me. the dude is one smart mofo! in fact, if not for his presence at BLS, i'd likely tip the bell curve so far to the left, that we'd all go sliding off the edge of sebok's blackboard.

you can also click to see contributions from '02 and '00. enjoy.

have a good weekend, everyone. wish me luck on my big tryout tomorrow!!! i'll see you all on the flipside.

-menlove

***

back to menlove's greatest hits

34 Comments:

At 1:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

About being late- GROW UP. It is NOT that distracting. While it can be distracting for a teacher like when people cross beryl- it is not distracting to the rest of us students. You sound like an asshole. I agree, show repect to my BALLS...or actually my vagina. As if someone walking in with a schoolbag and opening their computer is a sight you can't take your eyes off...

 
At 3:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck on your tryout, Menlove! By the way, awesome story. Only your twisted mind could come up with a situation where Rehnqist is choking on a sour patch kid, and someone is denting his ribs with the NAMBLA catalogue.

 
At 8:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Menlove - great story! I love the thought of watching his rheumy eyes as you make out with his neck!

Latecomer - grow up! You're an adult now, and adults should be on time. In the profession you're entering, people get paid a lot of money per hour. If you're 10 minutes late to a meeting with 4 attorneys, you could easily be costing someone close to $1,000. That is an outrageous expense, if you ask me, and does not speak well of your diligence as an attorney. We're all late sometimes! But making it a habit costs a whole lot of money. Not to mention the impact on your education, and the 120 other people's education - the ones who are pissed that you're walking in 15 minutes late and staring irritatedly at you instead of listening to the professor.

 
At 8:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that campaign finance site has some interesting stuff. thanks menlove! did anyone happen to check out 2000? dean wexler made some rather odd contributions. without getting too specific, cause i know this board isn't for personal jabs, she gave mostly to democratic causes, including the senate, but then she gave her largest donation to Lazio, the republican who ran against hillary for the senate seat. i didn't understand that one. maybe that's the "Rick Lazio Cafeteria" that we've all been enjoying our lunch in?

on the lateness...i think people are, perhaps, missing the issue here. no one is trying to say that if you come late to class, you're some kind of asshole. there are a few people (i'm sure every section has them), who consistently come to every single class 5-10 minutes late. their train wasn't late; they didn't oversleep; the elevator wasn't broken...because it happens EVERY DAY! these people just run their entire life 10 minutes behind the rest of us, and that, is immature and irresponsible, IMO, especially when, as someone already mentioned, you are entering a profession that values the clock so highly...

 
At 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice work on the tale dude! I'm not in your section, but I wish I was. Nonetheless, thank god there are some creative types around here, even though it's a bummer I don't have classes in the same room as them. : )

 
At 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice work on the tale dude! I'm not in your section, but I wish I was. Nonetheless, thank god there are some creative types around here, even though it's a bummer I don't have classes in the same room as them. : )

 
At 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice work on the tale dude! I'm not in your section, but I wish I was. Nonetheless, thank god there are some creative types around here, even though it's a bummer I don't have classes in the same room as them. : )

 
At 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice work on the tale dude! I'm not in your section, but I wish I was. Nonetheless, thank god there are some creative types around here, even though it's a bummer I don't have classes in the same room as them. : )

 
At 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice work on the tale dude! I'm not in your section, but I wish I was. Nonetheless, thank god there are some creative types around here, even though it's a bummer I don't have classes in the same room as them. : )

 
At 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice work on the tale dude! I'm not in your section, but I wish I was. Nonetheless, thank god there are some creative types around here, even though it's a bummer I don't have classes in the same room as them. : )

 
At 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice work on the tale dude! I'm not in your section, but I wish I was. Nonetheless, thank god there are some creative types around here, even though it's a bummer I don't have classes in the same room as them. : )

 
At 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice work on the tale dude! I'm not in your section, but I wish I was. Nonetheless, thank god there are some creative types around here, even though it's a bummer I don't have classes in the same room as them. : )

 
At 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice work on the tale dude! I'm not in your section, but I wish I was. Nonetheless, thank god there are some creative types around here, even though it's a bummer I don't have classes in the same room as them. : )

 
At 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice work on the tale dude! I'm not in your section, but I wish I was. Nonetheless, thank god there are some creative types around here, even though it's a bummer I don't have classes in the same room as them. : )

 
At 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not just being late it's the stomping up the risers, dropping off your stuff, stomping back down the risers, doing who knows what, then stomping back up the risers. Anyone who does that has to know they are being rude, knows that they want the class's attention, and generally needs to cut it out.

 
At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice work on the tale dude!

 
At 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, menlove, it's only a matter of time until we know who you are, for i just got hired as an intern for justice scalia. my interview was a bit different than yours...i just told him i hated blacks, jews, gays, and women, and he said, "i concur. go fill out the paperwork with my secretary clarence thomas." who would've thought it was so easy?

 
At 5:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All that money donated to the Dems says a lot about intellectual diversity in academia. As a side note, they would have gotten more use out of the money if they piled it up and burned it. At least then all that cash would make smores, or keep the dems hands warm for four years while standing outside the white house wondering where it all went wrong. (My guess: *huntin* License, claiming to hunt deer with a double-barreled shotgun, and batty foreign moneybags for a wife…actually it could be that the Kerry 04 campaign is still working on what there message is going to be)
I was hoping to see one donation to a cause of my politocal pursuasion, unfortunatly David Horowitz, though crazy, has some substantial statistical data to buttress his rants.

 
At 6:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

who cares if someone is late all the time- If you aren't the person who is late then don't worry about it. If you think it is a sign they will be a shitty lawyer great for you - maybe it does but what do you care? Its really not that distracting- especially if you are all so grown up - how hard is it not to look

 
At 11:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's rude, and it makes you look like an irresponsible ass.

and one person, about whom this whole thing started 1) STOMPS in late every day and 2) often turns around and leaves, to return a few minutes later.

hey--that's distracting.

 
At 1:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

menlove, this was probably my favorite entry of the year. at least since the el guapo hypo from last semester.

i'm curious to know your opinion the the late to class debate.

 
At 2:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone else being a shitty lawyer isn't good for me. It's bad for us all. I hate to watch someone step all over the things I find important. Stampy tramps all over my law school experience. It's rude and distracting. And immature.

 
At 2:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Immature like your name-calling? Quit your whining.

 
At 8:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Stampy?"

That's funny.

It's not really so much name calling as it is an accurate though entertaining descriptor.

 
At 11:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On a completely different note, did anyone notice Gora's many attempts at humor and wit during thursday's class? While he wasn't always successful, I appreciated the effort. I also found it interesting that his performance followed the many comments on this blog last week about how boring his class is. Anyone think that maybe he read those comments and responded?

Just curious.

Demian

 
At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

...and if, five years down the road, stampy tramper or her ilk apply for a job where i work, and someone says, "do you know this person who graduated with you?"...i will remember her as "stampy tramper" and will say so.

so cool, i may be an asshole (strike that, i know i'm an asshole), but i'm also your future coworker, and i perceive your lateness as disrespectful.

belladonna, you're right, there might be extenuating circumstances, but stampy tramper certainly has no trouble with money (she wears labels), is late back from breaks in the middle of class (i'm betting she doesn't have to take the subway from the bathroom), and is late to classes immediately after lunch (again, i doubt the subway from the cafeteria is causing a major delay).

demian, you're right--gora did perk up on thursday. i wondered the same thing. he's a good guy, but the material's really boring.

 
At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

does anyone know if beryl gave out Covenant of Quiet Enjoyment handout in class?

 
At 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a professor in undergrad that was a Chinese national; the guy could not even understand basic sentence structures in English. However, he far surpasses Ms. Beryl Jones in skills as an educator because he actually stuck to the F-ing textbook. She may be a loveable space cadet, but I doubt I can succinctly explain in an interview exactly how the Punky Brewster teaching style resulted in a poor property grade.

 
At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I think Menlove is Mark because he is in section 9, did trial ad on friday, and came back this semester w/ a new girlfriend... strawberry margarita = Carla. There was some other variable that made it Mark that I have now forgotten...but that won't hold up well in court haha.

 
At 6:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second the fact that Jones is less than the best prof I've had. Though ultimatley the grade will be on a curve, I will know less, on an objective level, then just about anyone else out there. Last class she ended up lecturing on god knows what from god knows where and we are god knows where in the text book, if anywhere now. Apperently, the Dukenminier text is very good, though I wouldnt know it - In the end I'll end up teaching myself Property from Gilbert's, just as I did with crim.

 
At 9:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi folks,

My little bro sent me this link and I just think Mr. Menlove and his friends are just great. When I was in law school we sure as hell had nothing like this (we also didnlt have the internet).

I just found one comment on the most recent post very curious- someone complaining about a lousy teacher and how he/she will objectively know less than all the other lawyers out there because of this crappy professor.

Ladies and Gents, take it from someone who has practicing law for 10 years- NOTHING, and I mean absolutely NOTHING, you learn (or don't learn) in law school has any relevance in the actual priactice of law. Law school is a game, a right of passage, nothing more. When you graduate and get that first job you will be someone's bitch (maybe mine :-) for a while. That person will make you hate your chsoen profession. If you're lucky, they'll also teach your green ass everything law school doesn't.

Oh, and for all you hard workers out there, don't! I was law review at Stanford and I work for 3 managing partners who were C students. These guys can out-lawyer me any day of the week and twice on Sunday. No one cares about how smart you are; it's all about how many hours you bill and how much ass you kiss.

Peace,
An amused older bro.

 
At 12:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, don't dis professor jones! She's my dealer, man! Where else do you think I get all my good law from?

 
At 3:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say that I am at least glad that some people are preturbed by the rudeness of some of our classmates not being able to get their stuff in gear and getting here on time. Most of those who say that those bothered should "grow up" forget a few key things"
1. If you are late EVERY DAY as the person in question is, when you are working, YOU WILL BE FIRED. Doesn't get more grown up than that kids.
2. This behavior is disrespectful to not only your fellow students but to your professors. They manager to get here on time and be prepared and give them their props and make an effort.
3. NO ONE is talking about the people who are periodically late. This is about the person who is late everyday to each class.

Perhaps if the original post had not been so quickly removed by the gestapo, this would have been clearer and the whole issue could have been avoided. I guess you can post the name of someone with politically unpopular opinions who expresses them in class, leaving them open to ridicule and flaming, but heaven forbid you point out rude behavior. I mean, that's just wrong.

 
At 6:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you continue to spell "perturbed," "preturbed," while you are working, YOU WILL BE FIRED.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home