Friday, March 11, 2005

nuttin' butt love / nothin' but love

what's up, everyone? menlove is drunk & happy, or at least i was until i read the message board from yesterday's post, and had to delete one of the lamest comments of all time...

to the loser who posted at 10:53 pm last night, you know who you are. don't use my discussion boards to denigrate your classmates. this isn't high school, and this isn't a frat house. grow the fuck up, moron.

***

so also on the message board, someone asked for a bit of dating advice for the "lustful" "Mister Creamer." (great nickname... put it on the resume.) well, here's what i think...

either she reads menlovian or she doesn't. let's assume she doesn't. if that's the case, then there's no problem because she won't know the whole backstory of your feelings about her, and the ejaculatory response they elicit. just buck up, smile, and give it your best shot.

on the other hand, if she does read menlove, then anything i suggest to you here, she'll end up reading as well. if that's the case, then you're screwed.

perhaps if i were better at writing the html code, i could figure out a way to turn menlovian into a dating website. it would be super-cool if everyone logged in and submitted all of their crushes to me, and i could match people up. what would be even cooler is that i would then know who was into whom, and whenever i got bored in class, i could think about them boning each other.

alas, this ain't happening. on the topic of html, i've got a message for "saucy intruder." i'm not sure if you even read menlovian these days, but on intermeddler's site, you mentioned that you'd be emailing me some tips on how to edit the html on the template. unfortunately, i never received this email from you. if you have a chance, please resend it to menlovebls@hotmail.com.

also, i've been enjoying the submissions from those of you who have been taking guesses about my identity. for those of you who haven't taken a stab at it yet, feel free to give me an email, and let me know your top 1-3 candidates.

***

by the way, i have to admit that gora actually got me to chuckle a couple times today. once when when he asked, "what is she doing driving around montreal with this couple from texas... you ever wonder about that?" also great was when he described the Piper case as "delicious."

way to go, G!

***

ok, now on to the business at hand. i've selected a charity for the "menlove-identity" fund: Africare.

africare is one of the world's premier non profit organizations. as their name suggests, they specialize in aid to africa.

i think it's a really good cause. when you have a chance, check them out here to learn about all of the amazing work they're doing. it's also quite reputable; Charity Navigator gave it a 4-star rating, and the American Institute of Philanthropy called it one of its "Top-Rated Charities."

this is a cause that i feel very strongly about. i know that some people choose to isolate themselves from the harsh realities of what goes on everyday outside of our BLS bubble, but many of you are undoubtedly aware of the dire and desperate lives that so many african people lead.

for instance, did you know that

the more i learn about this stuff, the more i realize that my little problems and law school stresses are ultimately insignificant.

as i said yesterday, i am setting a very ambitious goal for all of us: $1,500. for this amount, we will become life members of africare. brooklyn law school's name will be added to the life membership wall in the main lobby of the africare house (the africare headquarters building in washington, d.c.), and we'll all have the satisfaction of knowing that we did something really amazing for people who need our help.

in the next few days, i'll fill you in on all the details as to how you can make your pledge to donate. as i said before, if we raise 1500 dollars together, you'll get full menlovian disclosure on my part. if we fall even a dollar short, then all of your pledges will be cancelled, i'll never "come out," and you'll all go to your graves wondering who the fuck i am. (jeez, that was a bit melodramatic!)

by the way, what happens if we exceed the goal i'm setting? well, it just so happens that our very own joe nivin emailed me about another extremely worthy cause called the YAI/National Institute for People with Disabilities. you can check it out here. every cent we raise beyond $1500 will be sent on behalf of BLS to provides services and healthcare for people of all ages with a wide variety of developmental and learning disabilities including mental retardation, autism, and asperger's syndrome.

(thanks, joe, for bringing YAI/NIPD to my attention!)

so that's it for now. on monday, i'll lay out all of the details of the "pledging" process, and start accepting bids. as these last two months of school go by, i'll keep you all posted as to how close we are to our goal, and i'll also make public the names of people who have contributed (aside from those of you who wish to give anonymously - or, in the spirit of legal writing class, pseudonymously). all the while, i'll keep on posting my usual idiotic inanity, observations, and horrifying works of fiction. how this story ends is up to all of you.

maybe this weekend, if you've got a minute or two, you could follow some of the links i've provided above, and learn more about Africare. it might also be a good idea to think about which of your wealthy aunts, uncles, friends and employers you could hit up for a donation.

much love,

-menlove

27 Comments:

At 1:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was also pissed off by 10:53's comment. I'm glad you laid the smack down, Gentle M.

 
At 2:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great choice of charity. I'll call my Aunt Fannie this weekend. She's rich, and hopefully I'll be able to go in for at least fifty.

Now, back to Contracts!!!

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Saucy Intruder said...

Ah! we can post again! I emailed ya, menlove!

And I promise not to tell anyone your secret identity. Besides. Who would have ever guessed you're Adam!

 
At 2:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wait, now I really want to know what 10:53 said....

 
At 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i also have a rich aunt fannie. this gives me a good excuse to give her a call.

i'm going to do my share to help us reach $1,500 even though i already KNOW that you are evan!

 
At 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just want to tell you menlove that I think it is really cool that you are doing this. Menlovian already made this first year of school much better than it would have been otherwise, but if you can raise that much money for charity, this would just be a great way to end it. Good luck!

 
At 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, and to the person or people who insist that Menlove is Evan, you're way off. Menlove is either Jim or Demian.

 
At 7:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was a little shocked by the comment last night just like everyone else. but lets be honest...it was funny.

 
At 7:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was a little shocked by the comment last night just like everyone else. but lets be honest...it was funny.

 
At 7:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was a little shocked by the comment last night just like everyone else. but lets be honest...it was funny.

 
At 7:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was a little shocked by the comment last night just like everyone else. but lets be honest...it was funny.

 
At 7:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was a little shocked by the comment last night just like everyone else. but lets be honest...it was funny.

 
At 7:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was a little shocked by the comment last night just like everyone else. but lets be honest...it was funny.

 
At 7:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was a little shocked by the comment last night just like everyone else. but lets be honest...it was funny.

 
At 7:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was a little shocked by the comment last night just like everyone else. but lets be honest...it was funny.

 
At 7:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was a little shocked by the comment last night just like everyone else. but lets be honest...it was funny.

 
At 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

to the dude who thought it was funny x7- It was not funny, it was immature and that kinda crap and double standard-ness belongs on the bathroom wall in an elementary school, not Menlove's hayrick. Menlove, on behalf of us BLS ladies, thanks for removing it and setting that loser straight.

 
At 11:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought this discussion was supposed to be about hot guys. I wanna be sauced by saucy intruder. Also, Terence is really hot.

 
At 1:15 AM, Blogger Saucy Intruder said...

Consider yourself sauced, carbozo. I think Terence is damn hot too.

 
At 1:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am the author of last night’s unfortunate comment. I honestly did not believe that it would arouse such a strong reaction. Though it is no excuse, I was drunk and stoned out of my senses when I wrote it, and really just thought that it was a funny thing to say. Upon reflection, I realize how inappropriate and provocative it was, and I apologize to the Menlovian community for posting such base and drunken thoughts. In all honesty, I have nothing but respect for the individuals to whom I alluded in my post, and for women generally. Last nights comment was the product of several very dangerous chemicals, combined with 7 or so hours worth of contracts reading. Though I have a weakness for liquor and marijuana, and though my sense of propriety can be at times a bit askew, I’m not the godless misogynist that some of you seem to have concluded I am. To all reading, please accept my humble apology for last nights crude and obnoxious comment.

 
At 1:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am the author of last night’s unfortunate comment. I honestly did not believe that it would arouse such a strong reaction. Though it is no excuse, I was drunk and stoned out of my senses when I wrote it, and really just thought that it was a funny thing to say. Upon reflection, I realize how inappropriate and provocative it was, and I apologize to the Menlovian community for posting such base and drunken thoughts. In all honesty, I have nothing but respect for the individuals to whom I alluded in my post, and for women generally. Last nights comment was the product of several very dangerous chemicals, combined with 7 or so hours worth of contracts reading. Though I have a weakness for liquor and marijuana, and though my sense of propriety can be at times a bit askew, I’m not the godless misogynist that some of you seem to have concluded I am. To all reading, please accept my humble apology for last nights crude and obnoxious comment.

 
At 12:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a quick not about the comments - Press the 'publish' button once only, regardless of how long it takes - I get totally excited when I see '24 messages' and then it turns out there are only 10 and sept-licates of one, etc.
ok, thanks

 
At 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

smackdowns aside, is anyone else friggin' exhausted by school right now? i'm wondering if i'm the only one who can barely muster the energy to worry about my brief rewrite, and if anyone else just gets nauseous thinking about moot court tryouts or...*shudder*...exams?

any tips to keep the candle burning?

 
At 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pick a person in high school that you hated, or loved and was way the hell out of your league; and then think about how nice it will be to make more money than them, or make them feel like they are wasting their life (even if law school may be wasting mine). That is keeping me going.

Nice pic menlove. I thought I was the only person who ever saw Dr. Katz in all of his poorly animated wonderfulness.

 
At 1:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too am a bit frantic over the brief rewrite. And every time I hear the word "exam," I see black spots in my periphery, and become acutely aware of a scent that vaguely resembles burning hair. The hallucinations have stoped however, thank god. And I can concentrate for up to 5 hours with out throwing a conniption. In short, I think we are all a bit on the edge, and should remember that even in the worst case scenario, we will all be lawyers so long as we pass the bar. Who really wants to work for Skadden Harps anyway?

 
At 1:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. Katz's son (Ben?) is my role model for quietly defiant slacker-ism.

For the person who needs motivation...trust me I feel you. But go home next week, ask your parents for money, then ask them what THEY think you should do with your life. The combination of shame, guilt, obligation, oppression and angst will keep you powerin' through that con law beast we call a "book."

 
At 1:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was pleased to see that the author of the now infamous 10:53 comment has apologized for his wanton lack of discretion. Speaking as a BLS female who was more than a little offended by your comment, I was likewise more than a little surprised by your apology. Though the said comment was certainly inappropriate, it is when put in context, I think forgivable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home